Am I mistaken, or did we just have an election? And during that election, didn't the American people resoundingly vote for taxing the wealthy and protecting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security?
We did this, right? I haven't just dreamt it, right?
Oh good! Because, over the past week, I've been getting a strong impression from, mostly, Republican politicians that the election simply didn't take place. And surprise!, media pundits have fallen in line to drive a message of non-activity, as in, talk up notions of compromises that include additional tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy. Yes, this has come mostly from Fox News, but others have made noises in this vein as well.
And then, just this morning on Morning Joe, Mika Bzrezeiski made the asinine comment that Democrats are being "rude" by saying what I just said in my first sentence. After making this comment, she and Joe Scarborough led into a discussion about, guess what?, President Obama winning with a mandate and how he now needs to get this done for the American people by compromising. So they agree he won with a mandate, but he needs to compromise on the very thing that gave him his win? Yep, media pundits are still best at talking in circles to keep themselves relevant. I know no one reading my rant is surprised.
I know politicians and pundits need to make a living, but I'm done playing stupid so they can draw a paycheck. We voted and every poll and spit test showed one steady line regarding the budget/fiscal cliff. Taxing the top 2% more, keeping the tax at the same level for the remaining 98%, and not budging on Social Security and Medicare. If we had wanted anything else, we would've voted for the other guy; you know, the one who ran on the Ryan Plan and put Ryan on the ticket to drive the agenda home.
This piece is a friendly, or to quote Mika, rude reminder to both politicians and pundits that the voters have the ultimate say: and the voters have spoken.